The demand for diesel-powered cars in Canada has declined in recent years due to several factors such as stricter emissions regulations, low fuel prices, and increasing public awareness of the environmental impact of diesel engines. The shift towards electric and hybrid vehicles has also contributed to the decline in demand for diesel cars. However, diesel engines are still popular in certain segments such as heavy-duty trucks and commercial vehicles due to their improved fuel efficiency and durability. Some brands offering diesel-powered cars in Canada under $50,000 are:
Table of Contents
Why People chose Diesel Cars
Diesel engines have long been a popular choice for car owners, offering a range of benefits that appeal to many drivers. From increased fuel efficiency and torque to their known durability and higher resale value, diesel cars have a lot to offer. Additionally, some diesel engines can provide impressive acceleration and performance, making them a top choice for those who prioritize driving excitement. Understanding the reasons why some people prefer diesel cars can help car shoppers make an informed decision when choosing a vehicle that fits their needs and preferences.
Some people prefer diesel cars for the following reasons:
- Fuel Efficiency: Diesel engines tend to be more fuel efficient, which can result in lower fuel costs for the driver.
- Torque: Diesel engines generally produce more torque, which provides a strong driving experience and improved towing capability.
- Durability: Diesel engines are known for their durability and longer lifespan compared to gasoline engines.
- Range: Diesel cars often have a longer range between fill-ups, which can be more convenient for long drives.
- Resale Value: Diesel cars tend to have higher resale values compared to similar gasoline-powered vehicles.
- Performance: Some diesel engines can provide impressive acceleration and performance, especially in high-performance vehicles.
Please note that the overall preference for diesel cars can vary depending on individual driving habits, needs, and personal opinions.
Diesel Cars under $50,000
There are several diesel-powered car options available in Canada for those who have a budget of under $50,000. These vehicles come from well-known brands such as BMW, Chevrolet, GMC, and Jaguar and offer a range of features and capabilities to meet the needs of various drivers. From compact and fuel-efficient cars like the Chevrolet Cruze to spacious and capable SUVs like the GMC Terrain, there is a diesel car option to suit nearly any driving need. With a base MSRP of under $50,000, these diesel cars provide an affordable and efficient choice for those who want to take advantage of the benefits that diesel engines offer.
1. BMW 328d xDrive
The BMW 328d xDrive is a diesel-powered car that is priced at $47,400, making it an affordable option for those looking to buy a BMW. It is a sedan style car, which means that it has four doors and is designed to be a comfortable and spacious option for up to five passengers.
The engine in the BMW 328d xDrive is a 2.0-liter 4-cylinder, which is a relatively small engine compared to other cars in its class. However, despite its size, the engine is powerful, delivering 180 horsepower and 280 lb-ft of torque. This combination of power and efficiency makes the BMW 328d xDrive a great choice for those who are looking for a car that is both fun to drive and easy on fuel.
The engine is paired with an 8-speed automatic transmission and standard all-wheel drive (AWD). The automatic transmission helps to provide smooth and effortless shifts, while the all-wheel drive system helps to improve traction and handling on wet or slippery roads. The combination of these two features makes the BMW 328d xDrive a great car for those who live in areas with harsh weather conditions.
In conclusion, the BMW 328d xDrive is an excellent car for those who are looking for a diesel-powered vehicle that is both affordable and capable. With its combination of power, efficiency, and all-wheel drive, the BMW 328d xDrive is a great choice for those who are looking for a car that is fun to drive and easy to live with. Whether you are commuting to work, running errands, or just cruising around town, the BMW 328d xDrive is sure to provide you with an enjoyable and satisfying driving experience.
2. Chevrolet Cruze and Cruze Hatch
The Chevrolet Cruze and Cruze Hatch are two diesel-powered cars offered by Chevrolet, with base MSRPs of $24,495 and $26,695 respectively. These cars are designed for those who are looking for a compact and efficient car that is both affordable and capable. The Chevrolet Cruze and Cruze Hatch are both available as either a sedan or a hatchback, which provides buyers with two different body styles to choose from.
The engine in both the Chevrolet Cruze and Cruze Hatch is a 1.6-liter turbo-diesel 4-cylinder engine that delivers 137 horsepower and 240 lb-ft of torque. This engine provides plenty of power for everyday driving, while also being very fuel efficient. The engine can be paired with either a 6-speed manual or a 9-speed automatic transmission, which provides buyers with the choice between a more engaging and hands-on driving experience or a more relaxed and effortless driving experience.
The Chevrolet Cruze and Cruze Hatch are designed for those who are looking for a car that is both practical and fun to drive. With their combination of power, efficiency, and affordability, these cars are a great choice for those who are looking for a diesel-powered vehicle that won’t break the bank. Whether you are commuting to work, running errands, or just cruising around town, the Chevrolet Cruze and Cruze Hatch are sure to provide you with an enjoyable and satisfying driving experience.
3. Chevrolet Equinox
The Chevrolet Equinox is a compact crossover SUV with a base MSRP of $34,200. This vehicle is all-new for 2018 and for the first time, Chevrolet is offering a diesel variant. The diesel engine in the Chevrolet Equinox is a 1.6-liter turbo-diesel 4-cylinder engine that produces 136 horsepower and 236 lb-ft of torque. This engine provides plenty of power and fuel efficiency, making it a great choice for those who are looking for an efficient and practical car.
The engine is paired with a 6-speed automatic transmission, which provides a smooth and seamless driving experience. The Chevrolet Equinox is available in both front-wheel drive (FWD) and all-wheel drive (AWD) configurations, which gives buyers the choice between a more efficient and cost-effective car or one that is better suited for all-weather driving.
The Chevrolet Equinox is designed for those who are looking for a car that is both practical and versatile. With its combination of efficiency, practicality, and affordability, the Chevrolet Equinox is a great choice for those who are looking for a diesel-powered vehicle that won’t break the bank. Whether you are commuting to work, taking the family on a road trip, or just cruising around town, the Chevrolet Equinox is sure to provide you with an enjoyable and satisfying driving experience.
4. GMC Terrain
The GMC Terrain is a compact SUV with a base MSRP of $34,300. Like the Chevrolet Equinox, the GMC Terrain is all-new for 2018 and also comes with a diesel option. The diesel engine in the GMC Terrain is a 1.6-liter turbo-diesel 4-cylinder engine that produces 137 horsepower and 240 lb-ft of torque. This engine provides excellent fuel efficiency and plenty of power for your daily driving needs.
The engine is paired with a 6-speed automatic transmission, which ensures a smooth and seamless driving experience. The GMC Terrain is available in both front-wheel drive (FWD) and all-wheel drive (AWD) configurations, which gives you the choice between a more efficient and cost-effective car or one that is better suited for all-weather driving.
The GMC Terrain is designed for those who are looking for a car that is both practical and stylish. With its sleek and modern design, the GMC Terrain is sure to turn heads wherever you go. Additionally, with its combination of efficiency, practicality, and affordability, the GMC Terrain is a great choice for those who are looking for a diesel-powered vehicle that won’t break the bank. Whether you are commuting to work, taking the family on a road trip, or just cruising around town, the GMC Terrain is sure to provide you with an enjoyable and satisfying driving experience.
5. Jaguar XE
The Jaguar XE is a compact luxury sedan with a base MSRP of $45,900. This stylish and sporty car is available with three different engine options, including a supercharged gas V6, a turbocharged gas 4-cylinder, and a turbo-diesel 4-cylinder. The diesel engine option is a 2.0-liter unit that produces 180 horsepower and 318 lb-ft of torque.
The diesel engine is paired with an 8-speed automatic transmission and standard all-wheel drive (AWD), which provides a smooth and seamless driving experience. The engine provides plenty of power and torque for daily driving, while also delivering exceptional fuel efficiency.
The Jaguar XE is a car that is designed for those who are looking for a stylish and luxurious compact sedan that is both sporty and practical. With its sleek and modern design, the Jaguar XE is sure to turn heads wherever you go. Additionally, with its combination of performance, efficiency, and affordability, the Jaguar XE is a great choice for those who are looking for a diesel-powered vehicle that offers the perfect blend of luxury and practicality. Whether you are commuting to work, heading out on a road trip, or just cruising around town, the Jaguar XE is sure to provide you with an enjoyable and satisfying driving experience.
6. Jaguar F-Pace
Jaguar F-Pace is a mid-size SUV from Jaguar with a base MSRP of $51,250. It is offered with three engine options including a turbo 4-cylinder with two different output profiles, a supercharged V6, and a 2.0-liter 4-cylinder turbo diesel engine. This turbo diesel engine produces 180 horsepower and 318 lb-ft of torque and comes mated to an 8-speed automatic transmission with standard all-wheel drive (AWD). This diesel engine offers a good balance of performance and fuel efficiency, making it an attractive option for those looking for a SUV with a diesel engine.
Diesel Cars Canada: A Comprehensive Guide to Diesel-Powered Vehicles
Benefits of Diesel Cars
Diesel cars offer several advantages that make them appealing to a wide range of consumers. Here are some key benefits of owning a diesel-powered vehicle:
- Fuel Efficiency: Diesel engines are known for their superior fuel efficiency compared to gasoline engines. This efficiency translates to fewer visits to the fuel station and cost savings over time.
- Torque and Power: Diesel engines are renowned for their robust torque output, making them ideal for towing heavy loads and providing excellent acceleration.
- Longevity: Diesel engines are built to withstand high compression and operate under more extreme conditions, resulting in enhanced durability and longer lifespans.
- Resale Value: Due to their longevity and desirability, diesel cars often retain their value well, making them a smart investment in the long run.
Environmental Impact of Diesel Cars
While diesel cars offer notable benefits, it is important to consider their environmental impact. Here are some key points regarding diesel car emissions and their effect on the environment:
- Reduced CO2 Emissions: Diesel engines typically emit less carbon dioxide (CO2) per kilometer driven compared to gasoline engines. This lower CO2 output contributes to mitigating climate change.
- Particulate Matter and Nitrogen Oxides: However, diesel engines emit higher levels of particulate matter (PM) and nitrogen oxides (NOx), which can have negative impacts on air quality and human health. To address this, modern diesel vehicles are equipped with advanced emission control systems to minimize these pollutants.
Diesel vs. Gasoline: A Comparison
When considering a diesel car, it is helpful to understand the differences between diesel and gasoline engines. Here is a comparison highlighting the key distinctions:
|Aspect||Diesel Cars||Gasoline Cars|
|Fuel Efficiency||Higher||Relatively Lower|
|Maintenance||Requires Regular Maintenance||Requires Regular Maintenance|
|Emissions||Lower CO2, Higher PM and NOx||Higher CO2, Lower PM and NOx|
Some Other Diesel Car Models in Canada
In recent years, the selection of diesel cars available in Canada has expanded. Here are some more popular diesel car models in the Canadian market:
- Volkswagen Golf TDI: The Golf TDI offers a blend of fuel efficiency, versatility, and performance, making it a favorite among diesel car enthusiasts.
- BMW 3 Series Diesel: The BMW 3 Series Diesel combines luxury and sportiness with the efficiency and power of a diesel engine, delivering an exhilarating driving experience.
- Chevrolet Cruze Diesel: The Cruze Diesel is a compact sedan that impresses with its fuel economy, comfortable interior, and smooth ride quality.
- Mercedes-Benz GLC Diesel: With its luxurious features, advanced technology, and impressive fuel efficiency, the GLC Diesel SUV is a popular choice for those seeking a diesel-powered vehicle with ample space and comfort.
Diesel Car Maintenance and Care
Proper maintenance and care are crucial to ensuring the longevity and performance of your diesel car. Here are some essential maintenance tasks to keep in mind:
- Regular Servicing: Schedule routine maintenance, including oil changes, filter replacements, and inspections, as recommended by the manufacturer.
- Quality Fuel: Use high-quality diesel fuel from reputable sources to prevent fuel system issues and optimize engine performance.
- Glow Plug Maintenance: Diesel engines utilize glow plugs to assist with cold starts. Check and replace glow plugs as necessary to ensure smooth ignition.
- Emission System Maintenance: Pay attention to the emission control system components, such as diesel particulate filters (DPFs) and selective catalytic reduction (SCR) systems, to maintain optimal efficiency and compliance with emissions regulations.
Diesel Fuel Availability in Canada
Diesel fuel is widely available across Canada, making it convenient for diesel car owners to refuel their vehicles. Most gas stations offer diesel pumps alongside regular gasoline pumps, ensuring easy access to fuel throughout the country.
Diesel Car Insurance Considerations
When insuring a diesel car, there are certain factors to consider. Insurance providers may take into account the vehicle’s value, performance, and safety features when determining premiums. It is advisable to compare quotes from multiple insurers and inquire about any specific considerations for diesel cars.
Diesel Car Financing Options
Financing options for diesel cars are similar to those for gasoline vehicles. Whether you choose to finance through a bank, credit union, or dealership, it is important to research and compare interest rates, loan terms, and any incentives available for diesel car buyers.
Diesel cars offer numerous benefits, including fuel efficiency, torque, and longevity. However, it is essential to consider their environmental impact and potential emissions. With a growing selection of diesel car models in Canada and the widespread availability of diesel fuel, these vehicles are becoming a viable option for many Canadian consumers.
1. Are diesel cars more fuel-efficient than gasoline cars?
Yes, diesel cars are generally more fuel-efficient than their gasoline counterparts. Their higher energy density and combustion efficiency contribute to improved fuel economy.
2. Do diesel cars require different maintenance compared to gasoline cars?
Yes, diesel cars have specific maintenance requirements, such as regular servicing, glow plug maintenance, and attention to emission control system components like DPFs and SCR systems.
3. Are diesel cars more expensive to insure?
Insurance premiums for diesel cars can vary depending on factors such as the vehicle’s value, performance, and safety features. It is recommended to compare quotes from multiple insurers to find the best coverage and rates.
4. Can diesel cars be financed like gasoline cars?
Yes, diesel cars can be financed through banks, credit unions, or dealerships, similar to gasoline vehicles. It is important to research and compare financing options to secure favorable terms.
5. What is the future outlook for diesel cars in Canada?
The future of diesel cars in Canada is evolving, with increasing focus on environmental considerations. As emission standards become more stringent, diesel car manufacturers are working on advanced technologies to further reduce emissions and enhance environmental sustainability.
In conclusion, these diesel-powered cars under $50,000 offer a range of options for car buyers looking for fuel-efficient and powerful vehicles. From compact sedans to mid-size SUVs, each model provides a unique set of features and capabilities that cater to different needs and preferences. Whether you’re looking for a sporty and agile car like the BMW 328d xDrive or a spacious and versatile SUV like the GMC Terrain, these diesel-powered cars have something to offer. With competitive pricing and advanced technology, they provide an excellent value proposition for car buyers.